Fryderyk Chopin (1810-1849)
Unknown artist, Waldmüller school [?], mixed technique: coloured pencils, pastel, opaque paints , 365 x 295.
Collection: Muzeum Fryderyka Chopina, Warsaw [M/1457].
This portrait, made during Chopin’s second stay in Vienna, was not known in the Chopin iconography until 1975; it had been held in the private collection of the Malfatti family (Doctor Johann Malfatti—physician to the imperial court, art patron and connoisseur—took solicitous and friendly care of Chopin, who attended soirées among a close social circle at the Malfattis’ villa on the outskirts of Vienna, as he wrote in a letter to his family on 25 June 1831).