Fryderyk Chopin (1810-1849)
Louis-Auguste Bisson, daguerreotype, made no later than 1847, 160 x 125. Photograph by Benedykt Jerzy Dorys after a reproduction of the daguerreotype made before 1939, 150 x 107.
Collection: Muzeum Fryderyka Chopina, Warsaw [M/1448].
As Ma³gorzata Gr±bczewska has established, Louis-Auguste Bisson produced this daguerreotype towards the end of 1847, at the latest, in his Paris atelier, at 65, rue Saint-Germain-l’Auxerrois, and not, as previously thought, in the home of Chopin’s publisher, Maurice Schlesinger. During Chopin’s lifetime, it belonged to Schlesinger’s private collection and subsequently to the firm of Breitkopf & Härtel in Leipzig. In 1936, thanks to the efforts of the Instytut Fryderyka Chopina in Warsaw, it was purchased, together with music manuscripst, Chopin correspondence, another daguerreotype and a photograph, by the Polish State (Ministry of Religious Confessions and Public Enlightenment). In October 1937, it was displayed in the exhibition Frédéric Chopin, George Sand et leurs amis held at the Bibliotheque Polonaise in Paris and was then transferred to the special collections of the Biblioteka Narodowa [National Library] in Warsaw. It is not known what became of this daguerreotype after 1939; it is considered lost.