162
Salzburg

Salzburg, panorama

Salzburg, panorama of the city, steel engraving by Johann Poppel after a drawing by J. M. Bayrer, photographic print from the collection of Maria Mirska. Collection: Photographic collection of the Fryderyk Chopin Institute, Warsaw [F.3921].

 

Around 25 July 1831, Chopin and Kumelski (on their way from Vienna to Paris) spent a few days in Salzburg. ‘Admiration for the Salzburg evening carillons (one of them played a tune by Auber from the opera Le maçon); reflections in front of the home of the “musical arch-master” Mozart and a statue of Michael Haydn, “the father of true church music”.’ [Tomaszewski, Chopin…].