Paris, Palais du Luxembourg, Edward John Roberts, steel engraving, first half of 19th c. Collection: Muzeum Fryderyka Chopina, Warsaw [M/696].
During the reign of Louis-Philippe, the Palais du Luxembourg housed the House of Peers, the Tribunal of Peers and the ‘museum of contemporary art’. The low building on the left-hand side of this palace, known as the Petit Luxembourg, was occupied mainly by the judge of the Tribunal of Peers, the Duc Decazes. Chopin gave a concert there in 1836. Besides countless private concerts, Chopin gave twelve public concerts in Paris. His Paris debut came on 26 February 1832 at the Salle Pleyel, belonging to his favourite piano maker, at 9 rue Cadet. His last public appearance in Paris (16 February 1848) also took place in the Salle Pleyel, by then transferred from the Faubourg Montmartre to 22 rue Rochechouart. Chopin also played in the concert hall of another piano maker whose instruments he rated highly: Erard.