195
Paris

Paris, Church of St Magdalene

Paris, view of the Church of St Magdalene from the south-east, hand-coloured lithograph by Charles Claude Bachelier, 19th c. Collection: Muzeum Fryderyka Chopina, Warsaw [M/3004].

 

Almost two weeks after Chopin’s death, on 30 October 1849, in St Magdalene’s church, a funeral service was conducted, with the musicians of the Société des Concerts and the soloists Viardot, Castellane, Dupond and Lablache performing Mozart’s Requiem, and Louis-James Lefébure-Wély playing on the organ two of Chopin’s Preludes, Op. 28—in E minor and B minor. After the service, the funeral cortège headed for the eastern cemetery of Père-Lachaise.